Monday, October 5, 2015

"How To" Tuesdays

As baking can be a challenging task for some, there are aspects of baking that even the advanced chef needs help in. From here on out Tuesdays will devoted to explanations, steps-by-step instructions, and videos on how to refine several techniques.

This Tuesday we will learn one of the multiple ways one can pipe icing onto cupcakes or other pastries.


As seen in the YouTube video only the star tip was shown. There are a variety tips that can be used to achieve a numerous amount of looks.  The techniques seen in the video can be used for the fall season to create Halloween and Thanksgiving themed desserts.

Google images: piping tips
The picture to the left shows a few of the many  piping tips and the designs they make with icing. With these tips you can make designs that look like flowers, a basket weave, and leaves. The possibilities are endless as to what kind of creative looks are at your disposal when you have these tips.

As explained by a professional pastry chef piping can be done by using various techniques. Some of the most important steps to keep in mind when piping is control, pressure, and consistency.

 When you're piping it's important to have the right amount of  product in your pastry bag which will enable you to have more control over the bag when designing your creations. Another thing to keep in mind when piping is control and such control comes with practice.

 It is essential when piping to have a steady hand which will give you control over the pastry bag. It's also important to have consistency when piping so that everything comes out the same size and lines are uniform. 

The more intricate the design the more steady of a hand you will want as well as consistency, which all these essential elements to piping will come with practice and patience. 

Another professional in this area is cakejournal.com where you can find a variety of recipes and tutorials for a wide range of decadent pastries.

3 comments:

  1. I have tried decorating cupcakes a few times and it was a lot harder than I thought. I didn't know that having a certain amount of frosting or something in the pasty bag would make this a little easier and I'm sure practicing also has a lot to do with this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog so far, it is probably because I have such a sweet tooth myself. I cna not wait to try (and most likely fail) at some recipes from here. When I read your other posts I started to get worried it would just be 'word food' instead of real food, because I was worried I would not be able to follow the lingo (as is hard for me on my blog also http://makeupyourmindju.blogspot.com/ or techniques. So I am so relieved you will be doing 'how to Tuesdays'. I especially like your piping diagram. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really baked cupcakes before, but after reading this I might try to and use the piping techniques discussed in this post. Despite have watched shows such as Cake Boss and Cupcake wars they never really described how they made and decorated them, so your blog has show to be incredibly informative. I also find it quite interesting how many piping tips there actually are but I guess you learn something new everyday. You also have a good understanding of how to use language that "pops" , compared to my blog (http://writing4thewebjs.blogspot.com/) it's a very good use of it.

    ReplyDelete